Monday, September 21, 2015

Venetian Mask for Finnabair Creative Team

It's my turn on the 
 for the Creative Team.


I really love how this turned out...it, of course is much prettier in person with all the glitter and metallic paint, but this is the best I could get after at least a hundred tries!


I started with a paper mache mask and Heavy Black Gesso. As you can see, it's got a LOT of imperfections especially around the nose and mouth. 


I gave it a nice heavy coat of White Texture Paste Crackle.


LOVE the crackle! Then I started to spray it with various Mica Powder+Water letting it get into the cracks.


I used a permanent black pen and paints to add eye lashes, nose, and her lips. Two rub-ons are used on the cheeks.


I started painting with Mica Powders and Soft Gloss Gel adding Purple and Gold around the eyes.


Then I used 3D Matte Gel to add 2 layers of trim.


I took out several pieces of chipboard and some Mechanicals to give a base coating of Black Gesso. 

Then I sprayed them and added Inka Golds.


These Mechanicals were cut in half and trimmed, painted black, and then painted with Teal Mica Powder + Soft Gel.

The Gold is added using Inka Gold.


The Ornate Flourishes are now sprayed and colored with a couple of Inka Golds.


Now this was interesting. I used a Large Chipboard Crown/Stencil Border and painted it with Purple Mica Powder+Soft Gel. Then added Copper Glass Glitter and Berry Micro Beads.

I later decided this needed something more, so I added a whole bunch of Silver Micro Beads to fill it in.


This shows the Leaves 2 Mechanicals painted with Mica Powder as well as the 
Blue on the trim. After painting black, I added Copper Inka Gold to the other row of trim.

Now I fill in the background with Silver Micro Beads.


These Leaves 2 were painted with Copper Mica Powder/Gel and then had some Purple Glitter from the Mardi Gras collection added.


This is a side view of the Eye piece that was added using 2 flower brads, and the chipboard pieces in the headdress. 


More Micro Beads, Mica Powder paint, and Glass Glitter are used on the leaves. Turquoise Glass Beads and several sprays are added to the large flower. 

The Flourishes along the sides have 2 shades of Luminous Glitter on them that really catch the light.

And last I accented the piece with white pen dots for some contrast. 

I hope you've gotten a few tips and some inspiration to get going and create a mask of your own. They can be found in many craft and hobby stores.

Good luck and let me hear about what you make.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

4 comments:

Beth Norman said...

Such a stunning piece that jumped right out at me. The details are intricate and those colours are beautiful.

Lori said...

Yep, a real stunner Linda!! I love it, that crackle paste is awesome!

Candy C said...

Where's my napkin? Where's my napkin? I need to wipe the drool from my chin on this one! OH MY GOODNESS, Linda! You've outdone yourself yet again. This mask is just breathtaking! I totally LOVE all of your steps and all of the detail you've done on this! Man oh man...what a transformation from a simple paper mache mask to what you've created! Just stunning!

wwilloww said...

I wish I could see your magnificent mask in person. It is truly one of the most beautiful, imaginative, colorful mask I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing your steps but thank you more for sharing your creativity with all of us!!!